• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encounter with Police

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

ShawsDQ wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
LRS76251 wrote:
[align=left]Something doesn't feel "right" with this story, but I'm not throwing the BS flag...yet. There has been a lot of malarkey making rounds on the forums lately and it doesn't make the gun community look too bright in the public eye. Thats all I'm prepared to say about it for no[/align]
I do not disagree. I have not had a response to the below previous posting either.

Do you have any support information/data/cite for this event? Stories without documentation are just well, stories aren't they.

Are you anticipating contacting an attorney or otherwise following through? Presuming that this is a possibility, this is NOT the place to be discussing this.
Lacking a definitive response, leaves this story and this thread both swinging in the breeze.

Yata hey
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for. Were you hoping I had the entire incident on video?

I was under the impression that this was a good place to post your stories to discuss with others. Maybe someone can learn from this, maybe I can learn from others suggestions. I guess I was wrong.

Although I have been on this site for some time, this was my first post. When I read stories from the site I have no reason to believe they are lying. I am not sure why you need proof? When your friends tell you a story do you always tend to assume they are lying unless the prove otherwise.
Why the apparent offense? In no way accused you of lying.

Asked if you had any documentation - why do you find this inreasonable.

You didn't start your story with "once upon a time" so I presume it is true. If this be the case, why apparently no action. You are abused, take it and verbalize - just tell the story.

Certain things are alleged to have occurred in violation of your rights and probably violation of law. A simple FOIA request would have likely secured the information need for complaint or suit. Officer safety (a stretch here because you did not have the weapons on you) once satisfied does not explain not treating a sick/injured person immediately.

So yes, there is that square peg and round hole thing here.

Yata hey
 

N6ATF

Banned
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
1,402
Location
San Diego County, CA, California, USA
imported post

I'm going to venture a guess here and say the officers assumed since it was a drug motel, the brother was ODing.

Most cops are not remotely qualified to make the distinction between seizures and overdoses, and implement the correct paramedical protocol.

Knowing that, their police procedures would kick in, to search for suspected drugs, to both test and tell the medics, and to charge anyone and everyone else with possession.

They find guns instead, and keeping with the assumption that this is a drug motel, they think you're armed dealers.

Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
 

Jay

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
307
Location
Charlottesville, VA
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
 

NewHampshireNative

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
124
Location
, ,
imported post

Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
WOW your really still brain washed from living in the PRCT. I know from all of your posts that you are still content with police officers not following the laws that they take a oath to enforce. If that's so you should think about moving back to CT because the people up here do things differently in that way that we stand up for our rights. Cops push us we push back in a court of law with video/audio tape of them being told the law and still choosing not to follow it. I cant tell you how many times Golden cross responds to calls on their own with no police support. Or the police just drive by and look and then drive off before the meat wagon comes. You have talked about doing volunteer fire fighting and used that for a reason for not wanting to stand up to the Lebanon PD not sure what that has to do with standing up for something when you know your right. You go on to bring up how you would have to work with them in the street and so on and so on. Your in for a culture shock up here if and when you start doing EMT work again. Police up here unlike (PRCT) have no right to disarm you just because EMT's are responding to a call. I could be standing right next to the cop and or emts with my firearm and by law they cant do anything about it. If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
 

Jay

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
307
Location
Charlottesville, VA
imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
WOW your really still brain washed from living in the PRCT. I know from all of your posts that you are still content with police officers not following the laws that they take a oath to enforce. If that's so you should think about moving back to CT because the people up here do things differently in that way that we stand up for our rights. Cops push us we push back in a court of law with video/audio tape of them being told the law and still choosing not to follow it. I cant tell you how many times Golden cross responds to calls on their own with no police support. Or the police just drive by and look and then drive off before the meat wagon comes. You have talked about doing volunteer fire fighting and used that for a reason for not wanting to stand up to the Lebanon PD not sure what that has to do with standing up for something when you know your right. You go on to bring up how you would have to work with them in the street and so on and so on. Your in for a culture shock up here if and when you start doing EMT work again. Police up here unlike (PRCT) have no right to disarm you just because EMT's are responding to a call. I could be standing right next to the cop and or emts with my firearm and by law they cant do anything about it. If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
I think I made it clear that my expierance only comes from being in CT. I do not know the standard protocol up here for police response to medical calls. They were my opinions only. So because I am stupid to the protocol I should go back to "CT" thanks I appreciate it. I like New Hampshire I like the laws. I like that I can carry a firearm. However the National EMT Curriculum trains all EMT's the same way. New Hampshire follows the National Curriculum so we are trained before anything make sure the scene is safe. If I was in my own home and had guns out and the cops show up for a medical call. I would not answer any questions pertaining to why I have gun cause it is none of there business. If I am in a hotel known for drugs, with a kid unresponsive, and guns in the room I would answer their questions. Look at the situation!! As far as standing up to the PD yeah they were wrong. I was wrong to for allowing it to happen. However I pick my battles, and you pick yours. That is what makes this country so great. You do not have to agree with me I am sorry if I offended you with my actions. I am here to stay and I am not going anywhere. I will learn how things get done, but I have only lived here for two months.
 

NewHampshireNative

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
124
Location
, ,
imported post

Jay wrote:
NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
WOW your really still brain washed from living in the PRCT. I know from all of your posts that you are still content with police officers not following the laws that they take a oath to enforce. If that's so you should think about moving back to CT because the people up here do things differently in that way that we stand up for our rights. Cops push us we push back in a court of law with video/audio tape of them being told the law and still choosing not to follow it. I cant tell you how many times Golden cross responds to calls on their own with no police support. Or the police just drive by and look and then drive off before the meat wagon comes. You have talked about doing volunteer fire fighting and used that for a reason for not wanting to stand up to the Lebanon PD not sure what that has to do with standing up for something when you know your right. You go on to bring up how you would have to work with them in the street and so on and so on. Your in for a culture shock up here if and when you start doing EMT work again. Police up here unlike (PRCT) have no right to disarm you just because EMT's are responding to a call. I could be standing right next to the cop and or emts with my firearm and by law they cant do anything about it. If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
I think I made it clear that my expierance only comes from being in CT. I do not know the standard protocol up here for police response to medical calls. They were my opinions only. So because I am stupid to the protocol I should go back to "CT" thanks I appreciate it. I like New Hampshire I like the laws. I like that I can carry a firearm. However the National EMT Curriculum trains all EMT's the same way. New Hampshire follows the National Curriculum so we are trained before anything make sure the scene is safe. If I was in my own home and had guns out and the cops show up for a medical call. I would not answer any questions pertaining to why I have gun cause it is none of there business. If I am in a hotel known for drugs, with a kid unresponsive, and guns in the room I would answer their questions. Look at the situation!! As far as standing up to the PD yeah they were wrong. I was wrong to for allowing it to happen. However I pick my battles, and you pick yours. That is what makes this country so great. You do not have to agree with me I am sorry if I offended you with my actions. I am here to stay and I am not going anywhere. I will learn how things get done, but I have only lived here for two months.
Just as you do not like being lumped into the same boat as the anti's of PRCT. Why should a person who happens to be staying at a motel known to locals as a drug hot spot. Be lumped into the same boat with all the drug users who use the motel to get high? He was from out of state and had no idea what the motel is known for. I'm sure it seemed nice and was cheaper then the rest so they got a room. I do not believe nor will i accept someones rights being suspended just because of what motel/hotel they choose to stay in. As for talking to the police the fact of the matter is they can/do arrest people when ever they want. Even if you do talk to them they still can arrest or handcuff you. So talking to the police is not some silver bullet that will keep the cuffs off you. Second last time i checked it's "Any thing you say CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW!" not anything you say that is the truth will not be held against you. Bottom line is that the police have over a million of ways to trap you and help use what you say to get you convicted. Shut your mouth and let your lawyer tell your side of the story! Point in case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
 

N6ATF

Banned
Joined
Jul 22, 2009
Messages
1,402
Location
San Diego County, CA, California, USA
imported post

Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
NewHampshireNative wrote:
Why should a person who happens to be staying at a motel known to locals as a drug hot spot. Be lumped into the same boat with all the drug users who use the motel to get high? He was from out of state and had no idea what the motel is known for. I'm sure it seemed nice and was cheaper then the rest so they got a room. I do not believe nor will i accept someones rights being suspended just because of what motel/hotel they choose to stay in.
That covers it.
 

Jay

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
307
Location
Charlottesville, VA
imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
WOW your really still brain washed from living in the PRCT. I know from all of your posts that you are still content with police officers not following the laws that they take a oath to enforce. If that's so you should think about moving back to CT because the people up here do things differently in that way that we stand up for our rights. Cops push us we push back in a court of law with video/audio tape of them being told the law and still choosing not to follow it. I cant tell you how many times Golden cross responds to calls on their own with no police support. Or the police just drive by and look and then drive off before the meat wagon comes. You have talked about doing volunteer fire fighting and used that for a reason for not wanting to stand up to the Lebanon PD not sure what that has to do with standing up for something when you know your right. You go on to bring up how you would have to work with them in the street and so on and so on. Your in for a culture shock up here if and when you start doing EMT work again. Police up here unlike (PRCT) have no right to disarm you just because EMT's are responding to a call. I could be standing right next to the cop and or emts with my firearm and by law they cant do anything about it. If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
I think I made it clear that my expierance only comes from being in CT. I do not know the standard protocol up here for police response to medical calls. They were my opinions only. So because I am stupid to the protocol I should go back to "CT" thanks I appreciate it. I like New Hampshire I like the laws. I like that I can carry a firearm. However the National EMT Curriculum trains all EMT's the same way. New Hampshire follows the National Curriculum so we are trained before anything make sure the scene is safe. If I was in my own home and had guns out and the cops show up for a medical call. I would not answer any questions pertaining to why I have gun cause it is none of there business. If I am in a hotel known for drugs, with a kid unresponsive, and guns in the room I would answer their questions. Look at the situation!! As far as standing up to the PD yeah they were wrong. I was wrong to for allowing it to happen. However I pick my battles, and you pick yours. That is what makes this country so great. You do not have to agree with me I am sorry if I offended you with my actions. I am here to stay and I am not going anywhere. I will learn how things get done, but I have only lived here for two months.
Just as you do not like being lumped into the same boat as the anti's of PRCT. Why should a person who happens to be staying at a motel known to locals as a drug hot spot. Be lumped into the same boat with all the drug users who use the motel to get high? He was from out of state and had no idea what the motel is known for. I'm sure it seemed nice and was cheaper then the rest so they got a room. I do not believe nor will i accept someones rights being suspended just because of what motel/hotel they choose to stay in. As for talking to the police the fact of the matter is they can/do arrest people when ever they want. Even if you do talk to them they still can arrest or handcuff you. So talking to the police is not some silver bullet that will keep the cuffs off you. Second last time i checked it's "Any thing you say CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW!" not anything you say that is the truth will not be held against you. Bottom line is that the police have over a million of ways to trap you and help use what you say to get you convicted. Shut your mouth and let your lawyer tell your side of the story! Point in case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
You are right I am sure from being out of state they did not know what they were getting into. I understand your point of view, and did not look at it that way. I was looking at it from my training point of view. You are correct you should never incriminate yourself by talking to the police. There rights were violated and hopefully they seek the services of an attorney
 

NewHampshireNative

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
124
Location
, ,
imported post

Jay wrote:
NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
NewHampshireNative wrote:
Jay wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Totally wrong for them to assume any of this, but it's possible.
I am not trying to start anything here, but how was it wrong of them (the cops) to assume. They are in a possible drug hotel, they find guns, one kid who could of OD, and two guys that will not answer any questions about the guns. Now the cops have no idea if there are more guns possibly an ankle holster, a derringer in the pocket, 8-Ball whatever. I think in this case it was not totally wrong for them to assume anything. I am not a cop, but I would call this reasonable suspicion.
WOW your really still brain washed from living in the PRCT. I know from all of your posts that you are still content with police officers not following the laws that they take a oath to enforce. If that's so you should think about moving back to CT because the people up here do things differently in that way that we stand up for our rights. Cops push us we push back in a court of law with video/audio tape of them being told the law and still choosing not to follow it. I cant tell you how many times Golden cross responds to calls on their own with no police support. Or the police just drive by and look and then drive off before the meat wagon comes. You have talked about doing volunteer fire fighting and used that for a reason for not wanting to stand up to the Lebanon PD not sure what that has to do with standing up for something when you know your right. You go on to bring up how you would have to work with them in the street and so on and so on. Your in for a culture shock up here if and when you start doing EMT work again. Police up here unlike (PRCT) have no right to disarm you just because EMT's are responding to a call. I could be standing right next to the cop and or emts with my firearm and by law they cant do anything about it. If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
I think I made it clear that my expierance only comes from being in CT. I do not know the standard protocol up here for police response to medical calls. They were my opinions only. So because I am stupid to the protocol I should go back to "CT" thanks I appreciate it. I like New Hampshire I like the laws. I like that I can carry a firearm. However the National EMT Curriculum trains all EMT's the same way. New Hampshire follows the National Curriculum so we are trained before anything make sure the scene is safe. If I was in my own home and had guns out and the cops show up for a medical call. I would not answer any questions pertaining to why I have gun cause it is none of there business. If I am in a hotel known for drugs, with a kid unresponsive, and guns in the room I would answer their questions. Look at the situation!! As far as standing up to the PD yeah they were wrong. I was wrong to for allowing it to happen. However I pick my battles, and you pick yours. That is what makes this country so great. You do not have to agree with me I am sorry if I offended you with my actions. I am here to stay and I am not going anywhere. I will learn how things get done, but I have only lived here for two months.
Just as you do not like being lumped into the same boat as the anti's of PRCT. Why should a person who happens to be staying at a motel known to locals as a drug hot spot. Be lumped into the same boat with all the drug users who use the motel to get high? He was from out of state and had no idea what the motel is known for. I'm sure it seemed nice and was cheaper then the rest so they got a room. I do not believe nor will i accept someones rights being suspended just because of what motel/hotel they choose to stay in. As for talking to the police the fact of the matter is they can/do arrest people when ever they want. Even if you do talk to them they still can arrest or handcuff you. So talking to the police is not some silver bullet that will keep the cuffs off you. Second last time i checked it's "Any thing you say CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW!" not anything you say that is the truth will not be held against you. Bottom line is that the police have over a million of ways to trap you and help use what you say to get you convicted. Shut your mouth and let your lawyer tell your side of the story! Point in case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
You are right I am sure from being out of state they did not know what they were getting into. I understand your point of view, and did not look at it that way. I was looking at it from my training point of view. You are correct you should never incriminate yourself by talking to the police. There rights were violated and hopefully they seek the services of an attorney
With all this being said I hope you do not feel as if I was attacking you as a person as that was not my intent. Just battling with your point of view on the matter. That being said you are right that EMT's/medical workers should have a safe scene. That's when it turns into a give take and both sides have to compromise on their views as in the end the goal of both sides. Is to get medical aid to the person in need and nothing more. But EMT's should be given the chance to decide for them self's if their life is worth protecting with the 2nd A. The little red button the walkie talkie does not guaranty your safety. But sadly most ( BUT NOT ALL) departments say their life's are not worth protecting. Point in case some times people get depressed and want to end their life's but do not want to go alone. So they call 911 and have medics/fire/police sent out with one goal in mind. That goal being taking someone with them and sadly some times they fulfill their mission.
 

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
snip....
Point in case some times people get depressed and want to end their life's but do not want to go alone. So they call 911 and have medics/fire/police sent out with one goal in mind. That goal being taking someone with them and sadly some times they fulfill their mission.
I've actually never heard of that happening except as an outright terrorist act.

Suicide by cop yes, but even that rarely so.

Yata hey
 

Volantphoenix

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2010
Messages
10
Location
, Connecticut, USA
imported post

vermonter wrote:
QUOTE: "I fail to see what this has to do with it. Are "out-of-stater's" looked at as more threatening than "Vermonters?"

Take a look at the men in these photos, they are from Connecticut: http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8870465

THIS is what's coming Vermont on a daily basis. Even if you don't look like them and you are from CT, MA, NJ, or NY you will be looked at with suspicion if you are young, drive a fast or trashy car, or wear hip hop clothes. I have been stopped for minor traffic stuff (I drive aold carwith a cracked windshield and a bad inspection sticker). I always hand the officer my NH & FL CCW with my DL and inform him I am carrying. They always ask why am I carrying, and I state "for personal protection". It has never escalated past that b/c I respect the officers and know he is dealing with A LOT of trash from NJ, NY, MA and CT. I am sure you boys are outstanding citizens having thoses CCW's, but you need to understand what is happening in VT. If you have nothing to hide why not say: "go ahead officer, have a cursory look,BTW here are our CCW's and there are firearms on the table for personal protection. I am just letting you know for your safety". Who can argue that? I am not defending the cops, but I do know that VT police are the LEAST likely in the nation to violate your civil rights. If you stayed in one of the MANY fleabag motels in Bennie, it will be assumed you are there for drug activity. --Deleted Rules Violation--
Vermonter, Your article was well written, carefully put together! all except for your last twosentences which were highly racist to say the least. This forum does NOT need statements that have any form of racist sentiment.
We on this forumas proponents and advocates for the right to bear arms are already dealing with enough injustice where our rights are concerned. Lets not spread any form of bigotry here!
Criminals are just plain criminals regardless of their race or zipcode. Lets not lose ourfocus nor our decency!
 

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
35,331
Location
Valhalla
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Alex wrote:
Personally, I would have said they were just for self defense, You have to think both ways, LEO walks in, there's a gun on the table and no one is giving them any reason why there is a gun on the table, if I was on his end, esp. because your not from Vermont, I would feel uncomfortable as well. You have to realize that they deal with all types of people everyday... I am sure many people will disagree with me, but I have several LEO friends, and I understand some of the stuff they deal with daily.
Would you say the same thing if there were two Bibles on the table? WTH is the difference? Possession of firearms is just as legal as possession of Bibles...
+1

In both (all) cases, judge not the object but the person by their actions.

Tools are not evil or dangerous, people are.

Yata hey
 

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
5,038
Location
Suwannee County, FL
imported post

Uhm....

Anybody who knows anything about diabetics knows you don't need any kind of 'shot' to raise blood sugar. You just drink a Sprite, or down a chocolate bar... It's no big deal and casts a serious doubt on this whole bit. I know you can't do that while having a seizure... But he made it to the bathroom, eh?

A low seizure isn't the end of the world, actually. And anyone who is diabetic knows how to avoid it and how to handle it.

This smells funny.
 

Jay

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
307
Location
Charlottesville, VA
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Uhm....

Anybody who knows anything about diabetics knows you don't need any kind of 'shot' to raise blood sugar. You just drink a Sprite, or down a chocolate bar... It's no big deal and casts a serious doubt on this whole bit. I know you can't do that while having a seizure... But he made it to the bathroom, eh?

A low seizure isn't the end of the world, actually. And anyone who is diabetic knows how to avoid it and how to handle it.

This smells funny.
I do not even know why I am going here but I am. First off unresponsive diabetic either needs a glucagon shot given IM or the preferred method IV NS with an amp of D50. You can not drink sprite or down a chocolate bar if you are having a seizure. And yes he made it to the bathroom one of the classic signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is confusion I have found diabetics walking down the street butt naked at this point they are not thinking about raising there BGL with a sprite I can assure you (so it is very possible that the person went into the bathroom, and does not even remember doing it).
 

MK

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
396
Location
USA
imported post

I have a problem when police officers react negatively to someone when they don't answer questions.

I've had to get the idea of not talking to police through to both myteenagers and have been able to use their own negative encounters as perfect examples. With my son, he did do something that was against the law, though minor, and now has to pay a much heavier price for his honesty than he would have if he just kept his mouth shut. In a seperate incident, my daughter, wasn't involved in anything wrong, is very polite and helpful and in doing so, had her words twisted and used maliciously against her and had to then fight it in court. I am glad justice prevailed in her case but she now realizes how much danger some decent human being can be in with any type of police contact.

The police are trying to investigate a crime but they have no idea of what crime they are actually investigating.

If a police officer contacts me and expects me to prove my innocence to him for a crime he hasn't even been able to yet identifyhimself, he's not going to get any cooperation at all. If he wants to fish for something out of thin blue air, he's on his own.

I just take offense to any authoritywho approaches a personexpecting that person to convince him that he is not involved in any crime whatsoever. "Unless you can demonstrate to me that you are innocent of all crimes but none in particular, I have no choice but to treat you as if you are a criminal."

Why don't the police go through all your belongings and investigate whether they are stolen or not? Why is it thatso many timesit'sjust the gun?

I used to be all into being honest and up front as the right thing to do until I started to realize how dangerous that can actually be for someone who is trying to do what they think is the right thing.

In this thread'sscenario, ficticious or not, I wouldn't have talked to the police at all when questioned about the guns other than stating they are pefectly legal and that is it.
 

jddssc121

Regular Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
282
Location
, ,
imported post

Jay wrote:
ixtow wrote:
Uhm....

Anybody who knows anything about diabetics knows you don't need any kind of 'shot' to raise blood sugar.  You just drink a Sprite, or down a chocolate bar...  It's no big deal and casts a serious doubt on this whole bit.  I know you can't do that while having a seizure... But he made it to the bathroom, eh?

A low seizure isn't the end of the world, actually.  And anyone who is diabetic knows how to avoid it and how to handle it.

This smells funny.
I do not even know why I am going here but I am. First off unresponsive diabetic either needs a glucagon shot given IM or the preferred method IV NS with an amp of D50. You can not drink sprite or down a chocolate bar if you are having a seizure. And yes he made it to the bathroom one of the classic signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is confusion I have found diabetics walking down the street butt naked at this point they are not thinking about raising there BGL with a sprite I can assure you (so it is very possible that the person went into the bathroom, and does not even remember doing it).

As a paramedic i can tell you Jay is correct.... ixtow needs to stop reading webmd and trying to play doctor.
 

Beau

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
672
Location
East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
imported post

Jay wrote:
Okay my 2 cents being a gun owner/carrier and an EMT as well. Do I believe in people excersizing their rights. Yes to a degree. You had a diabetic emergency you called 911 you allowed the cops into your home ie. the motel. Did you guys do anything against the law NO. Do I think it would have been easier if you just answered questions from the beginning and have not been shady.
How is not answering questions being shady? How is not consenting to being searched shady? If the police were uncomfortable around firearms they could wait outside the room.
Without a doubt. You should have come clean about it being for self defense in this situation. If they stopped you minding your own business on the street, and not doing anything illegal except carrying openly. The cops can go pound sand as far as I am concerned. As an EMT our first duty is to protect ourselves that means guns are secured by cops in whatever means neccesary so I can do my job.
Sounds like you mean your first duty is to have someone else protect you. Sorry but you chose your profession. I'm glad you think you are important enough to trump the rights of the American people though. If you can't handle the danger your job may entail then find a new job.
Such as help your hypoglycemic brother. Especially in a motel known for drug activity I do not care if you claim to be related to the pope. I know Bennington very well my girlfriends parents live their, the cops are usually pretty good in that town. I also know that if you have permits from Connecticut having grown up there. That you guys probably have no criminal record because CT does not hand out permits unless you have the background of a saint. So I am sure you are upstanding citizens. So next time you call 911 and invite the cops and Paramedics to your home. If you leave your guns in plain view just answer their questions you will save yourself a headache in the long run.
 

Beau

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
672
Location
East of Aurora, Colorado, USA
imported post

NewHampshireNative wrote:
If you go over to http://www.usacarry.com we have a thread on emt's and firemen carrying firearms. Bottom line I think it just shocks and horrifying to me such a brain washed person lives in the town next to me.
We are currently having an issue with this in our FD. I live in a rural area and the firefighter and EMT's are all volunteer. We were just told that the board decided we could not carry on a call. Most of us are quite upset about this and trying to figure out how to fight it.
 

redreed

Regular Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
58
Location
Bristow, VA, USA
NewHampshireNative wrote:
We are currently having an issue with this in our FD. I live in a rural area and the firefighter and EMT's are all volunteer. We were just told that the board decided we could not carry on a call. Most of us are quite upset about this and trying to figure out how to fight it.

Quit
 

proscriptus

New member
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Messages
2
Location
Vermont
Bennington PD

Howdy, I'm a newby here, but had to add my 2¢. What you had was an encounter with Bennington's Mayberry-style PD. They're a joke, don't read anything into it. With a couple of exceptions, it's hard to imagine a less professional force, but I'm sure they'll come with a way.

I should know--I live there.

Dave
 
Top