• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is sickening

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
833
Location
Bedford, Texas, USA
imported post

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090720_Store_video_catches_cop_bullying_woman.html?viewAll=y


WHEN AGNES LAWLESS and three friends were inside a Lukoil convenience store in the Northeast at 3 a.m. last August, they'd all but forgotten the fender-bender in which they'd been involved moments earlier. There was little damage, and the other driver had left the scene, near Northeast Philadelphia Airport. What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved. Lawless was standing at the counter of the store, at Comly Road and Roosevelt Boulevard, smiling and chatting with the clerk, when she was grabbed from behind and violently pushed back with a police officer's gun in her face. "He hit me with his left hand, and he had his gun in his right hand," Lawless said. "He pushed his gun into the left side of my neck. It caused a scrape-type bruise on my neck." After a chaotic struggle, Lawless was arrested and charged with assaulting the officer. Lawless and her three friends, all in their early 20s, filed complaints with the Police Department's Internal Affairs Bureau. But in cases in which it's a defendant's word against a police officer's, the benefit of doubt often falls to the cop. Except when there's video.
There is zero excuse for this violent and deadly assault. Whats worse is that OTHER police officers would try to get this store clerk to erase the evidence of their criminal conduct. What takes the cake is that the judge, DA, and PD have taken almost no punitive action, even allowing this violent bully back on the streets with a weapon.

can any of you LEOs find any reason for this dismissal?
 

Decoligny

Regular Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
1,865
Location
Rosamond, California, USA
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090720_Store_video_catches_cop_bullying_woman.html?viewAll=y


WHEN AGNES LAWLESS and three friends were inside a Lukoil convenience store in the Northeast at 3 a.m. last August, they'd all but forgotten the fender-bender in which they'd been involved moments earlier. There was little damage, and the other driver had left the scene, near Northeast Philadelphia Airport. What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved. Lawless was standing at the counter of the store, at Comly Road and Roosevelt Boulevard, smiling and chatting with the clerk, when she was grabbed from behind and violently pushed back with a police officer's gun in her face. "He hit me with his left hand, and he had his gun in his right hand," Lawless said. "He pushed his gun into the left side of my neck. It caused a scrape-type bruise on my neck." After a chaotic struggle, Lawless was arrested and charged with assaulting the officer. Lawless and her three friends, all in their early 20s, filed complaints with the Police Department's Internal Affairs Bureau. But in cases in which it's a defendant's word against a police officer's, the benefit of doubt often falls to the cop. Except when there's video.
There is zero excuse for this violent and deadly assault. Whats worse is that OTHER police officers would try to get this store clerk to erase the evidence of their criminal conduct. What takes the cake is that the judge, DA, and PD have taken almost no punitive action, even allowing this violent bully back on the streets with a weapon.

can any of you LEOs find any reason for this dismissal?
Who died in this assualt?
 

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,544
Location
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090720_Store_video_catches_cop_bullying_woman.html?viewAll=y


WHEN AGNES LAWLESS and three friends were inside a Lukoil convenience store in the Northeast at 3 a.m. last August, they'd all but forgotten the fender-bender in which they'd been involved moments earlier. There was little damage, and the other driver had left the scene, near Northeast Philadelphia Airport. What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved. Lawless was standing at the counter of the store, at Comly Road and Roosevelt Boulevard, smiling and chatting with the clerk, when she was grabbed from behind and violently pushed back with a police officer's gun in her face. "He hit me with his left hand, and he had his gun in his right hand," Lawless said. "He pushed his gun into the left side of my neck. It caused a scrape-type bruise on my neck." After a chaotic struggle, Lawless was arrested and charged with assaulting the officer. Lawless and her three friends, all in their early 20s, filed complaints with the Police Department's Internal Affairs Bureau. But in cases in which it's a defendant's word against a police officer's, the benefit of doubt often falls to the cop. Except when there's video.
There is zero excuse for this violent and deadly assault. Whats worse is that OTHER police officers would try to get this store clerk to erase the evidence of their criminal conduct. What takes the cake is that the judge, DA, and PD have taken almost no punitive action, even allowing this violent bully back on the streets with a weapon.

can any of you LEOs find any reason for this dismissal?
Who died in this assualt?

Semantics. how about "Assault with a deadly weapon" ? Either way, it's a federal offense, among other things. It's 10 years federal time for the assault with his gun under color of law, and I'm sure there are some state laws that were broken too.

Add to that the conspiracy charge for every officer that intimidated the store to erase the evidence, that's another 1 year apiece in the Federal Pen., and loss of the badge and gun rights for life.
 

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
833
Location
Bedford, Texas, USA
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090720_Store_video_catches_cop_bullying_woman.html?viewAll=y


WHEN AGNES LAWLESS and three friends were inside a Lukoil convenience store in the Northeast at 3 a.m. last August, they'd all but forgotten the fender-bender in which they'd been involved moments earlier. There was little damage, and the other driver had left the scene, near Northeast Philadelphia Airport. What they didn't know was that they'd been rear-ended by the son of a police officer who was on duty, and dad was about to get involved. Lawless was standing at the counter of the store, at Comly Road and Roosevelt Boulevard, smiling and chatting with the clerk, when she was grabbed from behind and violently pushed back with a police officer's gun in her face. "He hit me with his left hand, and he had his gun in his right hand," Lawless said. "He pushed his gun into the left side of my neck. It caused a scrape-type bruise on my neck." After a chaotic struggle, Lawless was arrested and charged with assaulting the officer. Lawless and her three friends, all in their early 20s, filed complaints with the Police Department's Internal Affairs Bureau. But in cases in which it's a defendant's word against a police officer's, the benefit of doubt often falls to the cop. Except when there's video.
There is zero excuse for this violent and deadly assault. Whats worse is that OTHER police officers would try to get this store clerk to erase the evidence of their criminal conduct. What takes the cake is that the judge, DA, and PD have taken almost no punitive action, even allowing this violent bully back on the streets with a weapon.

can any of you LEOs find any reason for this dismissal?
Who died in this assualt?
I said 'deadly' for a reason, not fatal. by having that gun jammed in to her neck, she was at risk of losing her life by a totally deranged bully with a badge.
 

ghostrider

Regular Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
1,416
Location
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
imported post

It will sure be interesting to hear the cop apologists on this one. That there were no charges against Officer Lopez, his son, or the other officers who tried to cover this up is a very solid indication that that whole jurisdiction is dirty.
 

Statkowski

Regular Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
1,143
Location
Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

My e-mail sent to the newspaper's reporter:

Follow up on this. Behaviour like this, especially from a police officer, is unexcusable. Aggravated assault, terroristic threatening, perjury, conspiracy, and a few other crimes were all committed by Officer Lopez. Had you or I done something similar we'd be shuffling off directly to a state prison somewhere.

And the "officers" from Internal Affairs found no misconduct with the officers who attempted to get the video tapes erased? What kind of mind-altering drugs are these people on? Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the assumption that witness intimidation and attempted tampering with evidence was a crime. Oh, I forgot, these were Philadelphia's "finest" doing such, so it must be okay.

And you wonder why the rest of the state has such disdain for Philadelphia?
 

rds801

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
84
Location
, Oregon, USA
imported post

I can't believe the officer was allowed back on duty after that. This will definitely come back to hurt him and the department. He has already proven he can't be trusted and the other officers that tried to get the clerk to erase the tapes can't be trusted either. :cuss:
 

suntzu

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
1,230
Location
The south land
imported post

this is just further proof that the police are just as bad for the most part as the criminals they claim to chase..

when a criminal wears a badge--who is safe?
 

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
18,276
Location
Fairfax Co., VA
imported post

suntzu wrote:
this is just further proof that the police are just as bad for the most part as the criminals they claim to chase..

when a criminal wears a badge--who is safe?
Hey!!!! I am the forum Chief LEO Basher!! :)

You will avoid generalities that encroach on my perogative. :):p

You may say, "This is just further proof that some police are just as bad for the most part as the criminals they claim to chase." :)

:D
 

Deanimator

Regular Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
2,085
Location
Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
i missed the segment, what happened?
The hostess was somewhat off the mark, but was very definitive that the officer should be fired. Mercedes Colwin tried to take the cop's side and just ended up looking like a blithering idiot. She apparently either hadn't heard about the attempts to tamper with evidence or was trying to softpedal them until the hostess mentioned them.

The victim needs to sue and NOT settle. The PATTERN of misconduct by MULTIPLE police officers is so blatant (and documented multiple ways) that a jury will give her whatever she asks for.
 

Deanimator

Regular Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
2,085
Location
Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Any testimony any of these officers give in court is now suspect. Any good defense attorney will play this for all it's worth!
It must be hard to advance as a police officer if you can NEVER testify in court...
 
Top