• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Preemption

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

I recently contacted my state rep (Scott Lipke (R) - Cape Girardeau) about correcting the fact that all firearms laws are preempted by state statute with the exception of open carry.

He responded quickly and said he would research the issue and keep me updated on any progress. Hopefully we can correct this silly oversight by our legislators.

He is pro-gun and supported the fight for concealed carry. Realistically, our best bet is to amend the concealed carry statutes to allow open carry when in pocession of a concealed carry license.
 

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Joined
May 13, 2006
Messages
8,709
Location
Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
imported post

No, I would just go for full preemption - we did in here in VA in 2004. Most folks had no idea what we were talking about - mainly figured that the preemption was to simply make sure that localities did not discriminate against permit holders.
 

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
No, I would just go for full preemption - we did in here in VA in 2004. Most folks had no idea what we were talking about - mainly figured that the preemption was to simply make sure that localities did not discriminate against permit holders.

I did give the rep some web resources and pointed out Virginia's law as being ideal. I will discuss this more with him. Thanks for the advice!
 

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

I have received positive replies from both elected officials I contacted (Sen Jason Crowell and Rep Scott Lipke). The Senator suggested that there would be significant opposition and asked for some suggestions. I gave him several resources to research. The legislature is not in session right now (thank God!), and both Sen Crowell and Rep Lipke sounded as though it would be possible to introduce a bill during the next session.
 

Article1section23

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
489
Location
USA
imported post

I think one of the best options would be to research this for them. I went before the City council and requested that they repeal the city ordinance prohibiting open carry. Closed session/no response. If you need some help email me. I think that we could give them what our MOSC has stated and how this section (3) is questioning ones right. Be advised that the USSC has already stated that rifles and shotguns can be restricted, as long as handguns are still an option for "self defense". If the law was to be written with this limitation in place, I don't think it would be such a fight. The eastern district in Joyce, noted that the constitutional question wasn't properly before them, because if it was, it would have gone to the MOSC.
 

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

I would love some help. This is the first time I have approached a legislator about introducing a bill. You can contact me directly at the following address:

drur at mac dot com

Thanks!
 

cvc

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
38
Location
SW, Missouri, USA
imported post

drur,

Please advise on whom to write concerning full preemption in MO, SB 217.

I am new to Mo and I work overseas right now.

Would I write Sen Kit Bond, Sen Dan Clemends?

My home residence is Bruner, Mo 65620-1003

Thanks for the info.
 

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

cvc wrote:
drur,

Please advise on whom to write concerning full preemption in MO, SB 217.

I am new to Mo and I work overseas right now.

Would I write Sen Kit Bond, Sen Dan Clemends?

My home residence is Bruner, Mo 65620-1003

Thanks for the info.
Here is the link for all your representatives/senators for both state and federal:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/llookup/Leg_Results.aspx?ZipCode=656201003

You would need to contact Senator Clemens.

Thanks in advance for contacting him!

Dru
 

cvc

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
38
Location
SW, Missouri, USA
imported post

I mailedSen Clemens aletter today asking him to support SB 217.

I am looking forward to a successful outcome on SB 217!
 

Article1section23

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
489
Location
USA
imported post

[size=+3]Missouri State Senate[/size]
[size=+1]Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence Committee[/size]
bl_bar.gif


http://www.senate.state.mo.us/07info/comm/judi.htm


Folks, it appears that if we all send emails to this group that it has a very good chance of passing out of committee. 5-R, 3-D. It had its second reading of the bill on the 17th.

 

MadBadger

State Researcher
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
17
Location
JeffCo, MO, , USA
imported post

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just e-mailed Senator Engler (R-3) asking his support on this, as well as Senator Crowell.

Hey, does that mean Missouri could be on its way to Gold Star status? :cool:
 

cvc

Regular Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
38
Location
SW, Missouri, USA
imported post

I have read that it is better to write a letter to your Senators or Representatives rather than email, due to the fact thathundreds of emails are sent to these offices and they may not all be read.

Even though an email is better than nothing, in my opinion, snail mail may be better.

What's the opinion of you gentleman that deal with the Senators or Representatives offices?
 

MadBadger

State Researcher
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
17
Location
JeffCo, MO, , USA
imported post

Senator Kevin Engler <kevin.englerNOSPAM@senate.mo.gov>

I support the bill. Thanks for the e-mail.

Senator Kevin Engler


-----Original Message-----
From: mattwNOSPAMbrown@gmail.com [mailto:mattwNOSPAMbrown@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 10:20 PM
To: 03hk425d@senate.mo.gov
Subject: In-District: Support of SB 217
Name: Matthew Brown
Zipcode: 63028-4583

Matthew Brown
[REMOVED]
Festus, MO 63028-4583

January 22, 2007

Dear Senator Engler,
I am writing you today to voice my support for Missouri Senate bill SB 217, sponsored by Senator Crowell of Cape Girardeau. This bill would enact complete firearms preemption, limiting the power of localities to regulate the open carrying of and the discharging of firearms unless in conformity of state law. It is my understanding that within the state of Missouri, open carry is the only area of firearms law not fully preempted, and I feel this oversight should be corrected. I am a proud American and Missourian, and a firm supporter of our Constitutional Second Amendment rights. I feel that the local regulations placed upon open carry of firearms is not only unconstitutional, but illogical as well, considering that localities have no power to restrict concealed carry, or other sections of firearm law. I would urge you to support this bill, as well as further measures to support the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of the state of Missouri. I thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Yours sincerely,
Matthew Brown
Short and sweet. Almost wonder if a staffer wrote it, or something. Eh, well. He's on board, anyhow. :cool:
 

drur

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
125
Location
Cape Girardeau, Missouri, USA
imported post

MadBadger wrote:
Senator Kevin Engler <kevin.englerNOSPAM@senate.mo.gov>

I support the bill. Thanks for the e-mail.

Senator Kevin Engler


-----Original Message-----
From: mattwNOSPAMbrown@gmail.com [mailto:mattwNOSPAMbrown@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 10:20 PM
To: 03hk425d@senate.mo.gov
Subject: In-District: Support of SB 217
Name: Matthew Brown
Zipcode: 63028-4583

Matthew Brown
[REMOVED]
Festus, MO 63028-4583

January 22, 2007

Dear Senator Engler,
I am writing you today to voice my support for Missouri Senate bill SB 217, sponsored by Senator Crowell of Cape Girardeau. This bill would enact complete firearms preemption, limiting the power of localities to regulate the open carrying of and the discharging of firearms unless in conformity of state law. It is my understanding that within the state of Missouri, open carry is the only area of firearms law not fully preempted, and I feel this oversight should be corrected. I am a proud American and Missourian, and a firm supporter of our Constitutional Second Amendment rights. I feel that the local regulations placed upon open carry of firearms is not only unconstitutional, but illogical as well, considering that localities have no power to restrict concealed carry, or other sections of firearm law. I would urge you to support this bill, as well as further measures to support the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of the state of Missouri. I thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Yours sincerely,
Matthew Brown
Short and sweet. Almost wonder if a staffer wrote it, or something. Eh, well. He's on board, anyhow. :cool:
OUTSTANDING letter! You brought up some points I had not even considered.
 
Top